About River Jayden
Ngāti Tahu-Ngāti Whaoa, Ngāti Tūwharetoa
& English descent.
River is a visual artist and graphic designer who specialises in digital design and painting. While her work is visually striking with intense colour, her work also explores cultural appropriation.
River is a graduate of Bachelor of Arts from University of Canterbury, where she is continuing her postgraduate studies. River's research within art history looks at colonial and religious appropriation of māori culture, with a particular focus into the appropriation of kōwhaiwhai patterns within christianity, as a deliberate way to assimilate māori.
"Research is fundamental to my painting practice, it inspires me to create works that spark debate, and the narrative is usually politically charged” - River Jayden.
River uses her digital art practice to create clothing and prints that is inspired by Māori culture in particular kōwhaiwhai patterns. Her unique flair for vibrant design, makes her work highly sort after.
River has exhibited both nationally and internationally and is currently creating a body of works to exhibit in 2024.
- 2023 - Te Orokohanga o Te Ao, Solo Exhibition, Pierside Gallery
- 2023 - Matariki, Green and Gold Gallery, Geraldine
- 2023 - Banks Peninsula Auction, Lyttelton
- 2023 - Public Install Te Pae Convention Centre
- 2018-2022 Pride. Windsor Gallery, Christchurch
- 2019 Everybody Eats. XCHC, Christchurch
- 2019 Māori Toi. Linwood Gallery, Christchurch
- 2018 Hoisers Grown up. Hoiser Lane, Melbourne
- Kura Gallery, Auckland
- Te Papa Store, Wellington
- Pierside Gallery, Christchurch
2021 - 2023 Bachelor of Arts, The University of Canterbury
2016 - 2017 Diploma of Graphic Design, Yoobee College of Design
River is not personally taking on any commission work for 2023-2024, as she is currently developing works for her solo show in 2024.